Tuesday, October 05, 2010

ONE MILLION FRIENDS

If you haven't seen it already - I highly recommend The Social Network.  Not only is it a well-written, well-directed, well-acted film offering (Oscar worthy, IMO) - it  is also a defining and solemn commentary of this age of Internet.

I first became aware of Facebook by reading a blog that was written by a college student whose honesty online (albeit his online anonymity) made for a fascinating read about his collegiate life. He used to mention Facebook a lot and so I "googled" it and saw that it was a college social networking site(s) for schools. I was never a fan of MySpace (which is by and large just a clumsy database)... but when I saw Mark Zuckerberg interviewed on 60 Minutes about Facebook, which was growing into a worldwide phenomenon, I got curious. I liked the idea that FB was not a site created to meet people - but to stay connected to those people you already knew (friends, work colleagues, relatives). It was inferred that this model was really where the Internet was heading in the not-so-far future - one site that interfaced with pretty much everything. Form there, you could email, do banking, shopping  - - whatever your needs may be. Zuckerberg had been offered millions for Facebook but has held control of the site and is now a 26-year-old billionaire. The movie takes lots of liberties with his story - and by the end you can see that you've been given several perspectives about what happened and I suppose it is up to you to decide if there was a right or wrong position by any of the principles. What struck me was the definition of "friendship"-  online vs real life. The final scene (NOT a spoiler) shows Zuckerberg alone, in front of his computer, trying to 'friend' someone who had rejected him in real life. To my knowledge,  that actual situation/relationship was a fictionalized one... but the scene none-the-less packs a punch.

Blogging is something that I enjoy and do when the urge strikes me... kind of like my use of Facebook.  In my blog I like sharing thoughts and photos with my small audience of friends (of all kinds). For me,  Facebook is fun to read - but I am not one of those who posts what I am doing every minute of  every day. But it intrigues me to know there are those out there who live in this online matrix and rely on it solely to connect with others. On the Internet you are never alone... but does it truly alleviate loneliness?

Discuss.

3 comments:

Emily Maple said...

I think it makes you feel more lonely. People posting relationship stats, that they did this or that, you can obtain an insane amount of information but at the same time still aren't out there doing anything.

Don't get me wrong, I love the internet. However, do not delude myself into thinking that it's a substitute for human contact & a real life library.

My $0.02.

Sun Follower said...

I totally agree with you, Em. I love the Internet and can barely remember life without it... but it does not replace human contact or that intitial chemistry of meeting someone in person for the first time. I recommend this movie becasue it is so thought provoking on the topic. If/When you see it - let me know what you think.

Ashley said...

I think facebook is a great bonus, but can never recreate real community. That's where the danger lies--in those that get sucked into a virtual world, and nothing else.

I found this movie thrilling, for all the reasons you listed!