Monday, June 21, 2010

FATHERS BROTHERS UNCLES



(<-- LtoR: Uncle Joe, Uncle Leo, Dad, Uncle Arthur)




It was quite a Father's Day. My eldest uncle has been struggling with health issues this last year and this week he took a turn for the worse. My Uncle Arthur passed away today June 20th, 2010 on Father's Day.  My dad was devastated as he and his brothers are extremely close. The fact that all four brothers have lived long lives and have stayed close over the years has been such a joy for our entire family. At gatherings they were like little celebrities, everyone taking pictures of them - grandkids interviewing them about WWII.  My Dad, his younger brother (Uncle Leo) and his older brother (Uncle Arthur) all served in the war at the same time which I'm sure made my grandparents a wreck, but they all three came back home unharmed. A...mazing. 


Every other Sunday the Uncles get together and have breakfast. The last few years they'd been coming out to my parents' house afterwards and have coffee around the kitchen table. I usually come by  there on  Sundays to do a quick load of laundry and run errands for my parents and it is always nice to see my Uncles chatting it up. They sat in the same chairs around the table sharing stories from the past, catching up on the current news. 


I spent the weekend with my Dad, driving him to my Uncle Arthur's house so he could see him - though my uncle was heavily medicated and not conscious - I am sure he knew his brothers were there. It was a sad day, but in the end I'm glad I was able to help my dad in this small way.


We'll miss you Uncle Arthur.  You were a wonderful father, brother and uncle. We are blessed to have had you in our lives for so long.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Martina said...

i'm so sorry - what a special relationship the brothers had. and i'm sure your help on that difficult day meant the world to your Dad.